Dry skin causes and cures
Let’s face it, dry, scaly, dull skin is unsightly but with a few skin care tips and some skin care products specifically for dry, dehydrated skin, smooth, supple skin is yours for the taking: no matter what season it is!
Top 5 causes of dry skin
Firstly it’s useful to pinpoint what is causing your skin to become dehydrated. There are many causes of dry skin but here are some common ones:
• Over-exposure to the elements. Whether it’s environmental factors such as harsh winds and sun or indoor causes like heating and air-conditioning, it’s important to consider and note the affects of these aggressors on our skin.
• Genetics. Some people are simply born with drier skin conditions.
• Age. In general, as we age our skin becomes more dehydrated.
• Diuretics. Alcohol and caffeine are considered diuretics, meaning they in fact draw water away from the body. If your alcohol or caffeine consumption is fairly high this could result in dry skin.
• Soap. It may leave your skin feeling squeaky clean, but it may also leave your skin feeling tight and uncomfortable.
Having identified and removed some of the causes of dry skin, the next step is to cure. But before you smother your face in the best moisturiser for dry skin you can get your hands on, it’s important to prepare your skin for optimal absorption.
Cure: exfoliate and nourish
Regular exfoliation, using a face scrub or facial exfoliant will rid the skin’s epidermis of dead skill cells, resulting in smoother, more radiant skin. Make this the first step in your skin care regime for glowing skin. Once you have got rid of the dead cells, cleanse the skin with a soap-free wash and warm water. The warmth will open the pores, allowing for better absorption of a nourishing face cream.
When it comes to choosing the best dry skin moisturiser, try: Nutri-Synergy NS 7 Dry Skin Moisturiser, Nourish Naturals Dry Skin Lotion, Dry Skin Conditioning Lotion by Vaseline, Ahava Source Face Care Smoothing Moisturiser for normal to dry skin, Bobbi Brown Hydrating Intense Night Cream, Dr LeWinns Synergise Day Cream.
5 tips to prevent dry skin
• Keep a diary to help you spot the causes of dry skin. Medications such as antihistamines can cause skin to feel tight and dry. Alcohol and smoking is a big culprit of dehydrated skin as are lengthy hot showers, air conditioning and heaters.
• Use gentle skin care products such as soap-free washes, alcohol-free toner, fragrance-free skin creams, and treat your skin with respect.
• Wear sunscreen all year round to address one of the most common causes of dry, dehydrated skin and skin ageing.
• Use an exfoliating scrub and a hydrating facial mask once or twice a week to give your skin that added boost of moisture.
• Boost your moisture levels by cutting down on excessively long hot baths or showers and reducing the amount of diuretics your drink.
How do you beat dry skin? Found any hero products?