Warning messageRegistrations and logins temporarily disabled. Please try again later.
It’s no secret that I love a screen-siren inspired look (seriously, it’s an obsession), but this one really made an impact…
Picture Brigitte Bardot, all perfect and bombshell-y with her built-up blonde crown and long mane falling over her shoulder.
Now picture me, complete with flat, un-bouncy hair that quite frankly needs a good treatment and chop. Something had to be done.
Naturally, I turned to the place every lost soul should turn when they face a lack of inspiration – New York Fashion Week.
A little research led me to the ORGANIC by John Patrick Fall/Winter 2010 show, where Aveda stylist, Odile Gilbert, created a modern twist on the infamous Brigitte Bardot ‘pouf.’
“The look involves a messy pouf tamed by Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray and a French twist in the back”, says Gilbert. It was right up my alley.
Here is a (very) snappy get the look:
1. Prep hair with Aveda Phomollient™ Styling Foam for body and shine and create a left side part.
2. Divide hair into four sections: two sides, back, and top.
3. Backcomb the back section of hair with a brush to create messy volume. Spray with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray.
4. Create an anchor by crossing bobby pins horizontally across the middle of the back section of hair, just below the crown of the head.
5. Using large hairpins, attach a hairdresser's sponge (a piece of foam that provides volume and lift) at the crown, where bobby pins are anchored.
6. Cross the right section of backcombed hair over to the left, pinning over the hairdresser's sponge with large hairpins. Repeat with the left section.
7. Take all remaining hair in the back section and twirl to the left to create a French twist. Secure the twist at the nape of the neck with hairpins, creating a tail of loose hair draped over the shoulder.
8. Set aside a portion of hair to fall in front of the left ear, and brush remaining top section of hair over the hairdresser's sponge, pin it into the French twist to create a “pouf.” Pull lightly with fingers to create loose, spontaneous volume. ”¨
9. Leave wisps of free falling hair in front of the left ear, and loosely pin remaining pieces above the right ear. Finish with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray.
What do you like about the screen siren look?
P.s. Haven't started voting in the 2010 Glosscars yet? What!? Are you stark raving mad? Get onto it now and win big!